Monday, November 6, 2017

Just Like a Man!!

A cousin, distant though she is, has been after me for quite some time to write another book. 

And so, I finally got started.

I wrote and I wrote and I wrote ......with the intention of using kdpAmazon (publish on Kindle, first) then turn it into a print book.

I was familiar with MS Word ....I knew everything I should do.....or so I thought.

The things I didn't know, I researched and found out how to do it, how to fix it, how to redo it!

I even created my own cover and copyright page and Acknowledgments and Table of Contents. I fought with the adding a page number to the first story.........but not to the Acknowledgments. Thought I'd never get that figured out and fixed. And then I added a blank page, and well, that just about screwed up the whole darned thing!

And, oh my goodness, trying to get the page numbers to align ....perfectly....to the right. That was something else.

Came the time to upload said manuscript to kdpAmazon and to review my "work of art." First thing I noticed was ....."you have seven errors."  What!  How in the world? This thing was just about perfect (that's why beauty is in the "eye of the beholder.")

I went to the "Preview your work"....and first thing I noticed was that those perfectly aligned page numbers weren't in any line at all!  They were all over the place. 

And then, I started checking out my seven errors. Mercy! 

About that time, I found a phone number and made a call to a very nice young man at CreateSpace (they're a book publishing company that let's one publish their own books).

He suggested I sign up for a CreateSpace account (which I already had) and read the instructions.

Let me just say.......I now know how a man feels when they've put something together the wrong way.....and have to start over!

"Tales from the Porch" is back on the drawing board....and it's being reworked. I think this might be what daddy used to mean when he'd say.....
"I think you better lick that cow over again!"

No comments: