Thursday, May 10, 2018

A Truck Stop "Grill"

I saw something, yesterday morning, I had never seen.

It was about 11:00 a.m. and we were at a Truck Stop. Mike was filling the RV with Diesel, as I sat there.....perusing (I just love that word) my surroundings.

Suddenly a huge tanker truck backs to the back of the lot (in front of us, but several yards away.) He parked beside this big yellow thing that (honestly) looked like a Grill. The driver got out and went over and opened said "Grill." Then he went to the passenger door, of the truck (I thought).

Running through my mind was....."how wonderful that this Truck Stop provides truckers with a Grill. They can cook some healthy food, and rest while they wait."

Mike finished filling the tank......(and mortgaging the house to do it - have you seen the price of diesel?)......and gets back in the RV.

I say to him, "Mike, look at that..........I think that's a Grill and he's going to fix himself some lunch."

He (Mike) looks at me like I've gone nuts and says......."I don't think so."

Mike's going to have to make a big circle anyway to make sure the towed car clears everything......so I beg him to drive close to the other rig. 

I get out of the RV and go over to the Truck Driver. I don't have eyes, in the back of my head, but I'm sure Mike was shaking his!!

I get over to the "Grill" and I see there's a huge hose attached to said Grill with the other end attached to the Tanker. And there are several other "openings" (on the “Grill”) where hoses can be attached.

The very nice driver turns around......sees me, and I ask as I point to the "Grill"...."what is that?"

He says....."I'm filling my tanker with fuel to take to stations."

Not wanting him to think I was a nosey woman I explained, "I'm a writer, and I thought this was a Grill, and you might be fixing yourself a steak."

He laughed and said, "I don't think I'd better light this!"

Come to think of it, a real honest-to-goodness Grill would probably be a great idea. Just think how healthy all those truckers could be! 

No comments: