Sunday, May 27, 2018

Styrofoam, Bubble Wrap and Cardboard may cost plenty...

This little town, in northeastern Iowa, has the best recycling system I have ever seen. Well, actually, probably the only recycling I've seen! Our town, in southern MS doesn't recycle. 

However, we do eat Pickled Pigs Feet (well, some of us do) - isn't that using everything? Would that be considered "recycling."

When I learned that there was recycling and a Recycling Center, I put a big trash can outside the kitchen door, in the Garage, and I began sorting what I thought was recycleable objects into the can. 

We made a trip to the Recycle Center and the "fun" began, as did my knowledge of the "proper" way to recycle. 

Outside, there were three huge (I mean HUGE) trash bins. It will take a Dump Truck to pick those things up! Cardboard was supposed to go into one of them, and I'm not sure about the other two. We either didn't have what they were supposed to hold - or we put what we had in the wrong place! (That sounds more logical.)

Just outside the door to the Recycle Center room were two large wire type containers that might have been chicken coops in an earlier time and place. The sign said, "all bottles must be put in cardboard boxes." Thankfully, we hadn't already put our cardboard boxes into the HUGE container, 'cause we had lots of bottles - wine, you know!! 

The next notice read, "please double knot all bags to keep cans contained." We had no cans, but if we had they would have had to go back home with us.....who takes a trash bag to the Recycle Center?

Now, when I say that I had things "sorted" for recycling - I simply meant everything had been "dumped" into a trash can. So, we go inside said Recycle Center and the "sorting" began. (I really thought we'd take that trash can to the Recycle Center and just "dump" it all into one large container.) Well, NOT!

There were 16 - count 'em - 16 big containers with signs above them regarding what was allowed and what wasn't. 

And we began throwing the plastic into the plastic bin - but milk jugs had to go into a bin all their own. Then there was one for newspapers, one for magazines, one for books (I thought people put those in Garage Sales!), one for "other" paper (and I put nothing there 'cause I wasn't sure just what "other" paper was), and there was a can bin inside, too, (so why would I have to put my cans in a trash bag and put them outside?), and there was "other" plastic (and that's where I put the Bubble Wrap).

Well, being the photographer (amateur with phone) that I am, I took photos of everything.

Once we got home, I read the photo of the big "This may get you some time in jail" sign. And, I became concerned. I mean, if one has to go to jail because of recycling - how would that look?

We were not supposed to leave Styrofoam in any bin (and we did), and we were supposed to break our cardboard boxes down (and we didn't), we weren't supposed to put Bubble Wrap in any bin (and we did). Now, please tell me - why can't Bubble Wrap be recycled??

And one other thing that might get us a cover over our heads and three squares a day......or a fine $$$.....did we check every piece of plastic to see if there was a Recycling Symbol on it? Sorry, I'm just not going to share that. This is quite enough!

No comments: