Tuesday, May 15, 2018

It was God that Created GPS

I don't do maps. I'm not sure if all of you know this, but I'm the reason God created GPS!!!

All those years, when I was a Software Consultant......traveled everywhere.....flew (Million Miler on Delta, I am) then rented a car and drove.....I am going to tell you a secret. I stayed lost, most of the time!!  That's a fact. It's a good thing Service Stations don't keep track of people who stop to ask directions.

And, then, I'm really bad about "second guessing."  Yes, I know he said turn left at the next stop light....but turning right seemed to make more sense to me. 

So, we (Mike and I) are on the way to Forest City, Iowa to the Winnebago Factory to take the RV for some repair work. I make a great RV rider......seat pulled up, feet on the dash, covered with a light blanket....enjoying life while he drives. 

He (Mike) has put the address of the Winnebago Factory in his phone, so all is good. Right!!

Suddenly, he says, "Get the map." What? We have a map? How did I let that happen???

My blood runs cold. I've never discussed my lack of "map reading skills" with him. I never told him .....on our very first "vacation" with my honey (years ago, when daughter Gale was two years old)....we missed Columbus, GA.....completely......because I was reading the map!!

Mike wants to know if the way GPS is sending us is the "best" way. Should we be on Hwy this or Hwy that? 

I'm just trying to find out where WE are (on said map.) I suggest ....since "Margaret" (the name I gave to the GPS voice) has us turn at a most "opportune" time that HE look at the map. 

Thank goodness, Margaret and the map agree. I can rest easy.

Then, can you believe it. We are going up Interstate 35, and I let us miss the exit we need to take!! (It's easier to take the blame that to acknowledge that one really has no Map Reading Skills!!)

We get to the last exit in Iowa (before crossing State Line into MN) and turn around and go back to the exit I MISSED.

I can tell you one thing.... now, I can get to Forest City, Iowa from Readlyn, Iowa without GPS or a Map!!




No comments: